Tuesday, March 24, 2009

More Work, I Need A Rest

Here are two poems, a whole work day apart on Dec 15. Must have been a hard day in a hard week. I don't remember. But the poems are related and about character building or something. Hey, don't ask me, I just write them.


More Work

I thought I'd be good.
I thought I would shed all this
Like autumn's dry leaves.
I would skin myself
Of all the peculiar ways,
Open like a flower,
In full true color,
Giving off the aroma
Of my arrival.

Instead, here's more work to do,
Just happier doing it.

************************************

Here's the afternoon poem. I often go through days now when there isn't much punch left in me at the end of the day. I hope this is okay. I think it is. I think I am just at that stage in my career. Like, it is almost over. Like I could retire today if I had any money. But I don't. :(

I Need A Rest

Sometimes it gets bad,
Like I swell with it all, burst,
Or almost, too much.

Then gravity pulls me in
Nearer to my soul, away
From the hammering,
The construction gang at work
Renewing my life.

5 comments:

  1. I can strongly relate to that second one, and I'm still in my thirties. Hmm. Is that a bad sign? I think it's just life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staggering!!! I liked both of them and at the moment can connect very well with the second one.

    I like your blog and shall follow it from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, can relate, Christopher. I can see More Work going in all sorts of directions, but the last stanza really stops it, resigned but okay with it:
    "Instead, here's more work to do,
    Just happier doing it".

    I've felt that way.

    Most days, I do not feel like the speaker in I Need A Rest -- then again, there are those times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'just happier doing it'- change of attitude ? amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, I have no idea if that's a bad sign. It maybe signals early retirement :) All you need is money :( My truck driving buddy says over his cel phone that he has devised his retirement plan. When he gets old enough, he'll rob a bank. If he doesn't get caught, retirement. If he does get caught, retirement.

    Brosreview, welcome.

    Karen, I am glad you don't feel like the speaker in I Need A Rest. I wish I didn't. I love my work, but I need to do no more than six hours a day. That's not possible in my business.

    G'day Lisa. Attitude. :)

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!