Friday, October 28, 2011

Night Visitor

"Fairytales were maps formed of blood and hair and bones; they were the knots of the sub-conscious unwound. Every word in every tale was real and as true as apples and stones. They all led to the story inside the story."
- Alice Hoffman

Alice Hoffman (born March 16, 1952) is an American novelist and young-adult and children's writer, best known for her 1996 novel Practical Magic, which was adapted for a 1998 film of the same name. Many of her works fall into the genre of magic realism and contain elements of magic, irony, and non-standard romances and relationships.

"I feel as if I am an ad
for the sale of a haunted house:
18 rooms
$37,000
I'm yours
ghosts and all." - Richard Brautigan

Richard Gary Brautigan (January 30, 1935 – ca. September 14, 1984) was an American novelist, poet, and short story writer. His work often employs black comedy, parody, and satire. He is best known for his 1967 novel Trout Fishing in America.



Oh I am particularly fond of this one...

Night Visitor

You look back over
your shoulder at me like I
would at you were I
the one bounding off
in shoulder high moonlit snow.
You say nothing now
though I have heard you
snuff at my ragged edges
and felt your hot breath
in back of my house,
where you searched, but not for me.
Then your tail winks out.

written by me, January 13, 2010 8:26 AM


1 comment:

  1. Those kinds of lies only work in transitory situations, I think. At least for me, certain late revelations are too late and leave marks of their own on a relationship. For me trust is to be nurtured and cherished and there is a difference between reasonable discretion and withholding.

    I have been caught before in the dilemma of forgiving the unforgivable and what it does to the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!