Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Says The Student

The Taoists insist that the sages look exactly like tramps. They live lives of voluntary poverty, in the forests and when you come upon them the last thing you would think is to revere creatures who live so rough on the planet. It turns out that the Wise Ones are invested in the main in not looking so wise. You might think this is a feature of the Occult, to remain hidden. You might think this is a display of humility. You might think how this reminds you of Christ born in a stable among the beasts. It is actually a manifestation of balance. It is a posture of power.

This poem asks a question. I bet you know the answer. Don’t say it. Instead live with the question. Then go and make love.

Says The Student

It is said, Master,
that you are a heartfelt man
but all I see is
clumsy.

It is said also
that you contain the wisdom
I require.
All I know, you're daft.

Clumsy and daft one,
teach me if you dare,
give me the power to rise.
I want your voice.

I want better though.
I want stature and good grace.
I want shiny things.
Is this a problem?

March 12, 2009 12:44 PM

8 comments:

  1. You've given me a smile this morning. Is it one of recognition? 'Fraid so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we'll muddle through. We have, after all, lots of time, all the time in the world. Oh look, there's another shiny thing!

    I like word ver. I get to see it when I am signing in this way. It said suide, which seems to me the impatient man's version of attaining his suave side. It's troubling that I may be that impatient. There was a darker reading too, suicide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me laugh. Laugh at our stupidity. Laugh at our doggish ways, distracted by squirrels, even when we're not hungry.

    I pause after you say to live with the question.

    And too, I see the sage in the grumbly. That is where I find my home. Not that I am of them, but that I am comfortable with them.

    Happy New Years, Christopher!

    xo
    erin
    (i read suicide too and i am mostly light)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I trust you will find your way in 2010. We are headed toward mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mystery
    it's a rusted sign
    that hangs on an angle
    and is behind the bushes
    who would even see it?
    the highway passes
    so quickly
    by
    but i
    i have my face
    pressed to the window
    and my eyes
    always find the rust.

    xo
    erin
    (thank you for all of your guidance over the last while. it has been especially needed.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're more than welcome, Erin. You have a piece of my heart.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!