Saturday, December 6, 2008

Bewildered By Fate, In The Meantime

Poetry is not always serious, in fact you might make the case it seldom is, no matter how serious it sounds. I grew up in fantasy and science fiction, and while I am not really a reader now, have not read it since I can't remember, I still have the mind for it. I am just as happy in the world Ursula LeGuin created in Left Hand of Darkness and Frank Herbert created in Dune. So sometimes I let my poetry fly to places other than here...

Bewildered By Fate

Bewildered, I gaze
All about, consider fate,
Worry that I might fall.

I am yellow, no really,
And somewhat weird, fuzzy too.

I am shaken, stirred,
And stranded atop granite.
Sometimes worlds are hard.
***
What if I were a rubber duckie fuzzed up and yellow, sitting on a boulder somewhere in the wilderness? The thing is, it is not original but from a photo the Starfish of Motel Zero posted. So who is weirder, the guy who writes a poem like this or the guy who takes the photo...
**************************

Here's another thing can happen. I'm a nice guy. I believe I am honest and straight up. I go to work and my boss is a guy I have known since 1983, working in the same company together or for him in his own company for most of that time. We hold key cards that admits us into corporate America as symbiotes, small fleas on the belly of the beast. We give engineering, design and construction service to the industrial bakery that employs us. But I wasn't always straight up, though I was always kind of nice, and honest in my way. I do however possess a criminal mind. It is very good that I get to express it sometimes.

In The Meantime We do Mean Time

Ho! so quick, so frayed,
I sneak behind you and steal
Your holy beads of time.
I have a small withered heart.

And no empathy, no care.
I race off to stash
Your precious time in holes
Then I forget where.
***
There was a squirrel in my dogwood tree with a mouthful of unshelled walnut. He knew I was outside, close by, watching, but he really had no choice. There is something about a mouthful of walnut that forces things. It is really awkward. So I watched him climb down the tree and stop right beneath it. He dug a hole and stashed that nut right in front of me. Then he took off across the sidewalk, paused, then dashed across the street, up the pole and off down the telephone wire highway. Me, I knew he was going to forget he did that. Maybe she. There was too much going on at the time. No walnut seedling has appeared, so maybe the squirrel did remember. Anyway, the image of stashing my loot in holes is courtesy of that squirrel.

6 comments:

  1. Next time you come to Qigong class, why not just wear an exercise outfit, like everyone else?

    Really, the duckie costume is a distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...I was always kind of nice, and honest in my way."

    In this assessment, you display a real commonality with all but a very small percentage of humans on this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sensei, I shall check with the Gods and Goddesses and find out what my true Qigong (that word is freekin hard to type) outfit actually is. I hope they don't say naked. If you think the duckie costume is a distraction, what'll you see the shape of my...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walt, so many of us are so strikingly similar from the statistical standpoint, so oddly different one on one.

    If you walk like a duck, talk like a duck, chanes are you are a duck...or perhaps a deluded alligator. Or a spy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Duck! Squirrel's up there chucking nuts at us again! Food fight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have many small tomatoes at hand.

    Ahem.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!