Friday, December 12, 2014

A Terrible Fate

Michael Douglas, eldest son of Kirk Douglas, has suffered from a form of cancer he described as throat cancer but was more accurately a cancer that attacked the back of his tongue, apparently. He underwent agressive treatment and has been pronounced clear for now. This is something remarkable because his cancer had such a high mortality rate. Many throat cancers have a high mortality. In 2013 Douglas remarked in an interview that some cancers like his develop from the human papilloma virus (HPV) found in vaginal secretions.

I just learned all this when I Googled "suffering throat cancer" looking for an image to accompany the poem. I did not know that Michael suffered throat cancer when I wrote this poem.

I have the opinion that most illness of any kind is sourced in issues of relationship or its lack. That may no longer be quite true in old age where physical malfunction is inevitable eventually. And yet. It may even in old age be true that what malfunctions and how much malfunctions may be sourced in one's relationship history. Throat cancer seems to relate to communication.

Heart disease is a no brainer connected to relationships. Hmmm. I have two kinds of heart disease - coronary artery disease and arrhythmia. Two kinds of relationship difficulties. Perhaps.

Coronary Artery disease = My heart is choked.
Arrhythmia = I am not a steady lover.

Equally likely - my lovers are choked off and not steady after a time.

A Terrible Fate

My love has sickened,
                     has become a throat cancer
which (choking my words
when I try to tell
you how much I cherish you)
                      stops my swallowing
motions, refusing
me essential sustenance.
It will perish, then
                      I will so I shall
                      wander off in my need of
another life soon.

October 24, 2010 6:40 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!