Monday, August 27, 2012

Shiny Things - Reprise

Spirit Island near the south end of Maligne Lake.

Thievery is an attitude. With the right attitude you can steal even when what is stolen is freely offered as a gift. I have been the guy did that before.

Some years ago I took a Canadian Rockies vacation with my fine friend Francie and Maligne Lake was one of the highlights.

The best bird thief I ever met was a gray jay who lived at the north end of Maligne Lake near the main tourist place. I was eating a sandwich and this jay swooped down and took a piece of it right out of my hand.

The site of the crime was the outdoor seating area to the right of the steps down to the dock and the day was similar to the photo, bright and sunny.

Wiki says: Maligne Lake is a lake in Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada. It is famed for the colour of its water, the surrounding peaks, the three glaciers visible from the lake and Spirit Island, one of the most photographed locations in the world.
Surface elevation: 5,479 feet (1,670 m)
Area: 7.61 sq miles (19.71 km²)
Mean depth: 115 feet (35 m)
Length: 13.98 miles (22.5 km)
Islands: Spirit Island
Cities: Jasper

Shiny Things

My crow squawks it up.
He likes shiny things and steals
From the neighborhood.
He places each with care
In the space I let him have
And I have to lie
To all the irate
Neighbors who are sure it's him.

I would be angry
But I will steal stuff from God
Any time I can.

Shiny things, just like him.

Written December 9, 2008 7:42 PM
First posted March 14, 2009
Slightly Modified Today

No comments:

Post a Comment

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!