Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Can't Hide It


Wiki says: A bleeding heart is an informal label applied to someone regarded as excessively sympathetic, liberal in a political sense, or both. It is typically considered a derogatory remark.

Etymologically, the term originated as a Christ reference, originally the bleeding heart under a cross, representing the sufferings of Jesus crucified.



Christopher says: Isn't it interesting that the sufferings of Jesus should devolve into a criticism of the left. I understand I am now speaking of US politics. This gets me to think there is something to the idea that conservatives of the right really don't like the New Testament very much. They wish for an ascendancy of the the Old - where "an eye for an eye" typifies justice and love and forgiveness is not yet ascendant as the New Law brought by Christ to supplant the whole of the old Law. Love and Forgiveness is Bleeding Heart. Please notice that love and forgiveness are not absent in the Old Testament (Torah and other books), just that they do not yet govern as they do in the Kingdom of God as described by Jesus.


Bleeding heart may also refer to:

Organisms:

Doves in the genus Gallicolumba
An Australian rainforest plant Omalanthus populifolius, also known as Queensland poplar
Flowering plants in the genus Dicentra of the fumitory family
Flowering plants in the genus Clerodendrum (glorybowers or bagflowers) of the vervain family


Other:

*"Bleeding Heart" - Elmore James song
*A song by the Brazilian metal band Angra, presents in the 2002's EP Hunters and Prey
*Bleeding Heart Yard, a courtyard in London, England
*A song by Olivia Lufkin on the album Flower Festival
*Bleeding Heart (album)

I Can't Hide It

Every time I
hear that snap I know my heart
lies looser here. One
more string is broken,
hanging adangle, allowed
to drip its salt flow
down my sticky heart,
crimson hot glowing spillage
setting me apart
as if I have messed
my bed, sheets hung out again
on display to all.

December 4, 2009 5:04 PM

12 comments:

  1. That there are those who would shame a person for showing genuine compassion is just beyond my understanding. You shouldn't hide it. Wave those sheets as a banner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jonnia. Always a delight to find you here. I believe there is a a genuine divide in forms of human consciousness on this issue between those who naturally deal with aggression and varieties of deception at greater and lesser degrees. People have innate trust in this place to be peaceful or not. If they do not trust then a certain theology is innate as well. If they do trust then another theology is innate. This divide won't be overcome in any normal way. That is one facet of eschatology, how to ease the tension of the divide. Buddhists claim Bodhisattva and His action. Christians claim the coming of the Messiah to the same end. In both there is a reentry from beyond to assist us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hurts, love scars, love wounds and mars
    Any heart not tough nor strong enough
    To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
    Love is like a cloud holds a lot of rain
    Love hurts, love hurts

    I may be slow, but even so
    I know a thing or two, I've learned from you
    I've really learned a lot, really learned a lot
    Love is like a flame, burns you when it's hot
    Love hurts, love hurts

    Some fools rave of happiness, blissfullness, togetherness
    Some fools fool themselves I guess
    But they're not fooling me

    I know it isn't true, know it isn't true
    Love is just a lie, made to make you blue
    Love hurts, love hurts

    I know it isn't true, know it isn't true
    Love is just a lie, made to make you blue
    Love hurts, love hurts

    Joan Jett

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Tina sang, What's love got to do with it, what's love but a second hand notion. Emotion?

    See? No one really believes Jesus is serious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is second hand emotion.

    What's love got to do with it?
    Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken?

    ReplyDelete
  6. the human condition is hopeless in so many ways...

    ReplyDelete
  7. a great divide indeed.

    a bleeding heart is used as an indictment!???!

    oh my, the divide is bigger than i thought. it is in the very structure of thinking then, isn't it? i imagine Buddha or Christ walking into a room. that divide would turn to violence even then, i think, some form of self aggrandizement or affirmation for ONE side, who is to say which. probably both sides will still feel justified and right. what is it exactly in the human condition that makes us so irreconcilable? i'm stupefied.

    not to say i am without hope. i am not without hope. one soul at a time. and what happens happens. the world finds its way to balance. again, i return to the big bang. somehow i think we are separated from that which makes us whole. perhaps until we all meet again in some larger convergence this is our being(?)

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Erin, the divide is in the very structure of thinking. It matters. The task is every bit that big and requires commitment from all who can make it.

    And yet when you stand in the heart of things, one dominant piece of the experience is that all is well right now.

    It means somehow that you can joyfully relax even while you do the most critical work there is with no time left at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Out of bounds

    Bleed, and I will lick the salt
    of your sap, the pain of the sudden pruning
    flowing rich as honey over my eager tongue.

    Recoil, and I will cradle you
    firm and tender until my chin and breast
    are sticky with your tears and you melt again.

    Mine and yours is the sting of betrayal
    and the anguish of our bond,
    the bittersweet ache of our reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christopher...Found you on Second Shift, where I'm new, decided to check out your blog....good stuff here.
    Bleeding Heart and proud...oh, but it isn't always easy...much to bleed about these days....julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel, two in one day. What a fine gift. I am grateful.

    How We Love, You and I

    Stings of betrayal,
    the pepper on our anguish:
    this is how we bond.

    This is bittersweet.

    We dare the overt
    ache of reunion because
    we have to or die.

    Oh my beauty, my true love,

    I shall be the fire
    red of blood, the honey cut
    on your tongue.

    I will give you salt.

    July 15, 2011 12:28 PM

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!