Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ring Of Light - Reprise


Ring of light over Moscow


A Ring of Endless Light is a 1980 novel by Madeleine L'Engle. The book tells of a girl named Vicky and her struggle to understand life and significance in the universe as she deals with her dying grandfather, while at the same time finding love.















Madeline in 1946

















Madeline in her later years




Wiki says: Madeleine L'Engle (November 29, 1918 – September 6, 2007) was an American writer best known for her Young Adult fiction, particularly the Newbery Medal-winning A Wrinkle in Time and its sequels A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Many Waters, and An Acceptable Time. Her works reflect both her Christian faith and her strong interest in modern science.


The Ring Of Light

There's a ring of light
I found, placed on my finger
As a charm that calls
You from your labor
In the fields of confusion.

You seek a house free
Of darkness, descent,
Burial beneath the sand.

But more sand arrives
As you look, begins
To bury you as you age
And your burden too.

There's a ring of light.
I will place it in your hand.
Light will circle you.

Written January 17, 2009 9:57 AM
First Posted June 18, 2009

6 comments:

  1. I loved those books. Thanks for the reminder
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Linda. I think Madeline was a beauty in her day, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up reading her, and found myself constantly fascinated by her ideas and their lushness. And the lady knew how to choose a title. ("A House Like a Lotus" and "A Swiftly Tilting Planet" are still my favorites.) A fitting tribute, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She has the same look in her eye, same set of her mouth...as if she was just put through an aging wash. I loved your poem. A circle of light on your finger calling me out of my labor. And indeed it did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure I read Wrinkle in Time. I don't think I read anything else by her. I am happy to know, Joseph, that you think my featuring L'Engle appropriate.

    Annie, I also thought that Madeline aged very well. That's why I included both photos.

    Ghost, I only had a few moments at work and no sound at all at home. I listened but not as carefully as I wished. I noticed they posted several vids of her. Also it tied into how Wiki says she kept her religion close and rather public.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!