Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Man On The Bed



The main text of Alcoholics Anonymous concludes in this way:

"Abandon yourself to God as you understand God. Admit your faults to Him and to your fellows. Clear away the wreckage of your past. Give freely of what you find and join us. We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.

May God bless you and keep you - until then."

The American experience of English as it is spoken shows some common things. One of the errors that can easily persist is the substituting of one two letter word for another. "Of" and "to" seem interchangeable in phrases like "the Road of Happy Destiny" but the actual meaning of the phrase shifts in a remarkable way. Hence this poem:

The Road Of Happy Destiny
or, This Is It


The violet strap
falls across my rump as if
to stripe me, mark me
with your discipline,
make me read this book again,
focus on little
two letter words, "of",
not "to" as I trudge the road.

*Happy Destiny*

It's the road "of" I
trudge, (I read) not the road "to" -
what a difference.

February 27, 2011 9:24 PM

I was taught this by my old friend David. David was taught this by his wife, who was a second grade school teacher when she realized the importance of two letter words. It seems I would do well to remember what I learned in second grade more often.

2 comments:

  1. OF happy Destiny


    I read and
    I read
    And I read it again
    The word never seeming
    To stay the same
    But the thing is
    In black and white
    They
    Hopefully
    Forever
    Stay the same
    Instead
    It is inside
    Of me
    From where comes
    The change
    It's a matter
    Of prospective
    And capacity
    In a world
    Full of pain
    Full of change
    Thank god from me
    For me
    You stayed the same
    Never again will I regain
    What was lost
    With that
    Today
    I am OK...


    Chris McQueeney 2015

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end we all give way but it's when and how to give. In space near the end of things the light is clear and remote and one drifts powerless and without any possible guile left. All is stripped and movement ceases before thought. As thought slows, drops below light speed to find the interstellar rate after the sun withdraws all ties, it is then that the final truth is wiped clean of all intent and the journey to the stars begins.

      Delete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!