Friday, May 6, 2011

Sitting For Vincent



Tonight over at Shift Movement a friend who calls herself happiness posted a YouTube of Don MacLean's "Starry, Starry Night", a hymn in remembrance of Vincent Van Gogh. Don sings of Vincent as of a beloved friend. Then I remembered a novel I read not so long ago written as if by Van Gogh’s long term lover (she was in this novel a prostitute). That plus Starry Starry Night put me in the mood. The rest was easy.

Sitting For Vincent
(A poem from Van Gogh’s studio)

Your intensity
terrifies my flaky heart
and strips me.

All cheese
is gone and the loaves
as well but your paint remains
daubed all around me
on the dark canvas
of my yeasty acrid soul
and this changes me.

Written this evening, May 6, 2011

3 comments:

  1. Now i understand....
    i wish i wish i did
    all i know is
    that i love you
    sitting there daubed in colors
    how i love your dark and yeasty soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the rendition of vincent. i love the song and the singing of it.
    and your poem was so poignant and moving...thanks for it, too.

    hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jozien, I am proud to wear your love like a fine evening cloak.

    Harlequin, thanks for asking after me. The tooth extraction site is a mess but better today than yesterday. I like this Don MacLean tune too. I thought the gathering of Vincent's paintings really added to it.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!