Monday, May 16, 2011

Reptile Afternoon





The windows of my soul I throw
Wide open to the sun.
~John Greenleaf Whittier, My Psalm


John Greenleaf Whittier (December 17, 1807 – September 7, 1892) was an influential American Quaker poet and ardent advocate of the abolition of slavery in the United States. He is usually listed as one of the Fireside Poets. Whittier was strongly influenced by the Scottish poet, Robert Burns.









Reptile Afternoon

I am a little slow
these days like a lizard
lazing in the sun.
You come close to me.
I cock an eye out, stony,
a reptilian
eye on you, ruffed up.
Don't you push me now, not now.
It's my sun, my rock.

December 1, 2009 4:39 PM

2 comments:

  1. you made me smile.

    ok, ok, ok. that's me backing away smiling.

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice juxta pose...

    ... and what is more my own than my rock?

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!