Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Television - Three Word Wednesday

TV Guide cover from an April 11-17, 1959.

Wardell Edwin "Ward" Bond (April 9, 1903 – November 5, 1960) was an American film actor whose rugged appearance and easygoing charm were featured in over 200 movies and the television series Wagon Train. He is best known for his roles as Bert in It's a Wonderful Life (1946) and Captain Clayton in The Searchers (1956).

Bond; Grumble; Painless.

Television

Ward Bond kept me up,
with not one grumble let loose
from the heated tubes
of the black and white
teevee console set crooked
in the corner dust.

I would work it all
out during the day, me with
hat and tinplate gun.

One painless cowboy
afternoon, a Saturday
like many others
in my boyhood scheme,
I sent the next wagon train
off to Oregon.

June 4, 2014 4:18 PM

Written for Three Word Wednesday



5 comments:

  1. aw a nice ode to your fav childhood show

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great when something or someone catches your imagination as a child..they really do stay with you like good friend..yee-ha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sort of lying. There were shows like that, earlier, and me younger. By the time of "Wagon Train" I was a touch old for such make believe, and into other forms of it. I was caught by the word "bond" and followed that train. Also this plays on me emigrating from California to Oregon much later.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your childhood memory. I must admit, I still like a good western.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!