Thursday, June 25, 2015

In The Storm



I have never actually been in a tornado. I have been in a city when a tornado hit across town but I never saw it and only learned of the touch down after the fact. That was in Dacca (Dhaka) in what was then known as East Pakistan and now as Bangladesh.

None of the storms I have been in actually got too big for me but I can't say that for the young papaya in our back yard in Dacca. It snapped in half about three feet off the ground from the wind in one of the storms. I claim I love weather like this. I think I tell the truth. However, I am not fond of ice storms. I live now in the Portland area of Oregon and we do get ice storms when winter conditions are just right. I hate them.

In The Storm

When the tornado
hit my street I was too high
to care or to move
and I was carried
over the top of slow things,
aimed like an arrow
fletched with eagle quills-
one step beyond all belief-
and willing to fly.

December 30, 2010 2:57 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!