Saturday, November 27, 2010

Moon In Pisces

"The great thing, if one can, is to stop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one's own, or real life. The truth is of course that what one calls the interruptions are precisely one's real life - the life God is sending one day by day; what one calls one's real life is a phantom of one's own imagination. This at least is what I see at moments of insight: but it's hard to remember it all the time." - C. S. Lewis

CLIMBING THE MOUNTAIN
I burned incense, swept the earth, and waited
for a poem to come . . .

Then I laughed, and climbed the mountain,
leaning on my staff.

How I'd love to be a master
of the blue sky's art:

see how many sprigs of snow-white cloud
he's brushed in so far today.
- Yuan Mei


I am framed in archetype, framed in Moon in Pisces, in a form called a bucket, but not so extreme as to be held as one holds a handle. Indeed my form is difficult as well as easy, most of a grand cross as well as grand trine. Hidden within this mostly regular shape are lines of fate. I have never been in charge of my own life as some are. In my height I am expansive, and tell my stories but in my depth lies the cool dark of the open ocean and I am too far from land for landing and for comfort. But I am wise, Oh my Son, Oh my Daughter, and Brother, Sister, I sing the very lines that hold the stars in place.

Here is the Moon, coming for me
escalones, by Elena Dudina, Spanish Photoshop artist

Moon In Pisces

Moon has been my guide
as I quest for the old cup,
following the path
of her rays.

She lies
in my heart as a wanton
in my bed, hungry
and taking all I
offer, demanding yet more
before she wanes, wanes
and I fade with her.

I've gone further than my eyes,
shining, free of shame,
at last, free of shame.

September 7, 2009 2:13 PM

5 comments:

  1. a beautiful post, from the beginning quote from Lewis to your noble poem. what a wonderful inspiring reverie.

    i am working on a piece about the moon right now, and this post really spoke to me.
    now, i have much more to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last stanza most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both.

    Rachel, interesting, since I reworked my original poem, and that last stanza is yesterday's work. The original last stanza didn't work by my lights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came from Erin's blog, in search of more poets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for leaving a comment. This blog is a bit more than just poetry but so is Erin's. Erin is one of my best poet friends. More than that, I think. She is one of the people I wish didn't live clear across the continent and in another country. I would like to visit and joke around and stuff with her and Robert both, and admire her children too.

    ReplyDelete

The chicken crossed the road. That's poultry in motion.


Get Your Own Visitor Map!